Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Flagstaff

Flagstaff.

Well, hello again! It's been a while. I plan on posting much more frequently from here on out. I have a lot of exciting things to talk about, so keep on the lookout for new posts. 


Last Tuesday was a pretty rough day. I had a tough phone call that Monday, and work in the afternoon seemed to drag on and on. That is, until I received one of the best texts I've gotten in a while. It was from my wife Jen and it read: 


A hike! Jen always knows how to get me out of a funk. I'm sure my face lit up and I had an ear to ear grin on my face. Anytime I have a hike to look forward to, everything else seems not so bad. 

So Thursday morning, we ditched out of swim class and loaded up the car for a day trip. The sky was gray and ominous and beautiful. Perfect for an escape from the arid 106 degree heat.


Flagstaff is home to one of our favorite breakfast and coffee spots. We make an effort to get up there early just to have coffee and a bite at Macy's European Coffee House. (the granola with yogurt and the vegan waffles are fantastic.)


Satiated and reawakened by the coffee, we headed up the hill towards Snowbowl until we reached our trailhead. 



The Veit Springs Trail in the Lamar Haines Memorial Wildlife Area is an easily ambling 1.5 mile walk in the beautiful woods above Flagstaff. It tilts and rolls softly as you meander through fields of ferns and flowers, all under the canopy of Quaking Aspens, Douglas Firs and Ponderosa Pine. 


Not far from the start, the trail cuts east and makes a bee-line to the Indian Springs. Here lies the now dilapidated ruins of Ludwig Veit's 160 sq/ft cabin. Old Lud had good taste in location. Indian Spring, middle Spring and Canadian Spring are all within pretty close proximity. You can also catch some Petroglyphs and Pictographs on the rock walls near the cabin.
Zoe at one of the springs.
Zoe and Parker loved the hike! They seem to genuinely love being outside, exploring every leaf and stick on the ground, inspecting every flower that pokes itself out into the trail right at eye level. 
Always take time to smell the flowers.


Zoe and Parker say hello to a friend we found on the trail!


The trek proved exciting yet exhausting for the girls, and we ended up carrying their limp, sleeping bodies the rest of the way to the car. It's amazing how much heavier they are when they're sleeping!



Back at the trailhead, it was lunch time! Well, for most of us.
Days like this remind me of not only how lucky I am, but how important it is to get outside and experience the outdoors. I am always happier when I am outside, and even a quick trip like this one does a great deal to refresh and recharge me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment